Who We Are
The University of California Santa Barbara is one of the 10 public research universities in the United States that partners with SEISMIC.
When joining the SEISMIC Collaboration, each SEISMIC Institution committed to
- Bringing together a local community of education researchers and practitioners motivated to explore and improve equity and inclusion in foundational STEM courses, led by an institutional PI and supported by an administrative patron.
- Hosting 6 or more SEISMIC-related speakers on their campus each year, as part of our Speaker Exchange Program.
- Getting research access to student data so their institution can participate in our parallel data analysis. Note, we do not share institutional data across SEISMIC, we share code to run parallel analyses and then share results across SEISMIC.
- Connecting their existing STEM reform efforts to the larger SEISMIC project. It is hoped that these connections will both support and enhance local reform projects.
- Paying the travel costs for four local team members to attend our annual collaboration meetings.
Join Our Team!
If you are currently affiliated with UCSB- as a faculty and/or student member– please reach out to your colleagues below for more information regarding how to join.
Our Week Of SEISMIC!
Since Spring of 2022, SEISMIC has hosted several local, in-person SEISMIC events on each SEISMIC campus. The University of California Santa Barbara’s Week of SEISMIC was held on April 18-22, 2022.
UCSB hosts many seminars, talks, and events in general related to the work of SEISMIC. These opportunities are often highlight in the monthly newsletters that are sent to SEISMIC members. The link below gives you a detailed list of all opportunities available to members and non-members.
Below you will find members of SEISMIC leadership that are UCSB faculty and/or staff. Working Group members can use the Participants Database (password-protected) to find more members. Linda Adler-Kassner Local PI; Implementing Change Working Group email@example.com
Local PI; Implementing Change Working Group
Experiments Working Group Co-Chair
Experiments Working Group Co-Chair
Eduardo (Lalo) Gonzalez
Collaboration Council (CoCo)- Experiments Working Group Representative
SEISMIC Voices- UC Santa Barbara
Read the full statements here.
Biopsychology Undergraduate Student | Research Assistant in the Szumlinski and Wood labs
“Participating in research in SEISMIC has been one of the most influential undergraduate experiences I’ve had. My project investigates the impact of office hours on academic performance and identifies different strategies to increase student attendance…”
Associate Director at the Center for Innovative Teaching, Research, and Learning
“In conversations with instructors and TAs about assignments, effective communication with students, and how to deal with the “surprises” of teaching remotely, I find myself bringing up one simple yet incredibly important point: we are all human and we are in this together…”
Postdoctoral Researcher | Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology
“Being part of SEISMIC has been immensely enlightening. I have learned an incredible amount about the methods, collaborations, and practices needed to develop actionable strategies capable of bringing real change to STEM education…”
HHMI Lecturer | Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
“As a first-generation, Latino student, I always felt very fortunate to have amazing mentors in my academic life that help me succeed. Almost all of these interactions started with a visit to office hours. I have found that this one-on-one mentoring interaction was transformative for many colleagues as well. However, in my role as instructor, I have found this powerful resource is underutilized by the students that can benefit the most from it…“
UCSB in the Spotlight
April 2019 UCSB Visit